View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
jeffro2

Re: Scratch building an 85 K5 RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimal View Post
Man, you have some mad skills for that! How did you get the upper curve on the body? Heat and roll it over a piece of tubing?
Thank you manimal, I'll take those comments all day,

If I understand correctly, the upper curve that runs from the top of the headlight to the top of the taillight, the full length of the body, correct. ?
No, on a round pipe or object, but Yes, on using heat for curvature, but not there.

On that contour I had to slice the styrene cutout of the Blazer along the straight line below the contour and then cut strips of styrene from another sheet, about 1 1/4 inch wide and as long as the body is, about 18 inches, then you cement them offset to each other and the cutout Blazer sides, then fill in with Bondo or what's called Plastic Metal made by Bondo, and after enough sanding and maybe more plastic metal and hopefully it will look like a "curve" I hope that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post
nother great build Jeffro that I will be watching closely.
You like right on track to me, one thing that I notice the sides might need a little more curve and the bottom, might be the camera angles but they look very straight up and down.
Thank you TexasJeff ! That's what I need to hear also, it keeps me on my toes. You are correct, I believe its one side more then the other, after giving it a good look over. Also after staring at it for awhile, I've also decided to add another layer of .40 styrene to the lower halves of the body, below the body length curve, but It will start from just back of the headlight almost above the front fenders, and then feather it out. I think it needs to gain a little girth on the body.

I will see about some better pics up this weekend if I get around to working on it, but I am kind of burnt out on body work, so I may switch to the chassis and drive train, and on that note, I went Ebay trolling and bought these neat little items.

2 speed trans

Axles

Transfer Case

And with any luck, I can get a chassis made this weekend.

Thank's again guys.
jeffro2 is offline   Reply With Quote