View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #97
ATVYP

Re: Uncle Howard's 1946 Chevy Truck

After LOOOOTS of reading, I went with making an X Pipe. I made my own X pipe. The difference / ideas / arguments against using an X pipe or and H pipe are enormous. After reading both side of the arguments, I was most impressed with the guys who endorsed the X pipe with the smaller relief passage between them. They seemed to have the math equations, knowledge, and real-life engineering info - after reading TONS of different forums, I think many of these guys actually engineer them? Maybe I'm wrong, but what they said was that the benefits do not come from the "flow" (like with the fully open chamber X pipes), but serves 2 factors: 1) on a Chevy V8 engine the 2 center cylinders fire right next to each other, and causes extra pressure to back up. The relief "dumps" the extra pressure and helps flow. Additionally, I learned the reason the Ford / Chevy / Dodge V8s all sound so different is because the firing order between the different manufactures change when the 2 adjacent cylinders fire. 2) The noise waves from the banks cancel each other out, helping driver compartment noise considerably, and the X pipe causes the exhaust sound to be "similar to the modern higher revving engines." Maybe I made a mistake, maybe I didn't? I'll find out in a few months (or years?) when I finally get to start it. In all honesty, I don't really plan on making enough power to really matter too much anyway! I just think it looks cool, and i want that sound. I won't have the heart to drive this thing too hard anyway!
Attached Images

ATVYP is offline   Reply With Quote