View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #284
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside BILLYBOB

When I bought the truck, I knew it would need a complete resto and repaint to get it looking the way I want it to be.

I originally had a colour change in mind to a traditional mint green and white combo, or a real farmer brown green colour with off white detailing. But within a week of buying the truck, I knew it would stay the "in your face" red that it had been painted 10 years ago before leaving California.

I also knew it had some rust, and that is was very little for a 47 year old vehicle.

However, I was surprised at the rust when I started looking around under the truck.

There are a few holes that will need new metal welded in after surgery, and then some dents and scrapes to fix. All of these I am prepared to give a go, however, I will be buying and importing some steel patch panels.

I am happy to hear from anyone who has experience in using the panels that are available in the market from the likes of LMC, Top Banana and others, which are best for quality and fit.

Below are a few pics of my fenders and also the front, bottom corners of both doors.

Passenger door underside. The fender on this side seems fairly intact, but I may just bite the bullet and replace that whole side while on the metal work and paint.

Driver side fender corner...... this is bad, it is loose, and the inner support is rotten as well.
I suspect you could pull the whole bottom off without much effort.

Inside view...... made me want to cry. I will get the whole support for this side, rather than patching it up. The passenger side seems totally solid.

Drivers side lower door front corner. I am happy to make up path panels for the two doors as they are out of sight.

As mentioned above, please do add any comments and advice you may have for me regarding repairing the rust.
The trucks sills and cab corners are completely solid, and there are small bits of rust on the inner fenders just behind the grille and front support.

As can be seen in this pic.

==================================================================================================== ======

The other thing I looked at today was the placement of the rev counter my buddy Tim gave me in August.

I did not want to fit it till the truck was painted, but realized that placing it and wiring it up will not stop me from the paint and prep. I plan on going for a satin black dash, or satin black and red combo.

My question is this......

Where do most people place rev counters?

Sensible, practical, visible etc.....

Here is mine, just held in place or placed in position to get and idea.

Opinions, advice ??

Somewhere in the left hand corner.

Over to the right ??

Looking forward to ideas etc....

Thanks, Rian.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote