Thread: Project Texa Go
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #105
Billett

Re: Project Texa Go

Quite a bit has happened over the last month or so. Pressure tested the radiator and the heater core exploded all over the inside of the cab. Picked up a new heater core and replaced it. Also bought an aluminum 3 row radiator from Pro Performance here on the board for a great price. No over heating problems now. Actually it cools the truck so well that there's barely any heat coming through... Of course the blower motor deciding to quit didn't help that. Eventually it just decided to start working again, so I'm assuming I have a loose wire somewhere I have to find.

Finally got it running well enough to call up my tuner, Race Proven Motorsports in Delaware, and schedule a dyno tune. RPM suggested I pick up a set of NGK TR55s instead of the AC-Delco iridiums I was running. Also had to start running 93 octane for the tune. I was using 87 before because that's what the van style LQ4 ws programmed for. Got 6 of the plugs replaced with no problem and was on the 7th when I pulled one of the ends clean off of the wire... Couldn't reach it well enough and it was below 20 out that day so the suction on the grey rubber boot was crazy. Went to the local autozone on 7 cylinders, (runs pretty smooth with 1 down haha), and grabbed a crappy set of autolites. Got it over to the shop so they could change those last two spark plugs and get it tuned.

That was on Wednesday. Last I've heard they were having trouble tuning it. Said it kept running really rich when they tuned it for the stock 26 lb/hr injectors, but the ones in there are definitely stock. They said as soon as you start the engine it pulls 50% fuel which maxes out the 02 sensors, and they have no idea why. Hopefully they figure it out and I get it back soon. On the upside, hopefully that explains the crappy mileage I had been getting.

Checked 3 tanks when I didn't have the tune. Most of the driving was 70 mph highway/under 50 local easy driving. Got 14/12/14 mpg. I wasn't pleased, but with the new tune and running 93 octane it should be MUCH better. It's been a long time coming!
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote