View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014, 03:51 PM   #8
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: spindles and springs but now my tires wont fit help

Remember, wheel diameter means nothing for fitment under a lowered truck.

Its tire diameter that matters.

You need to decide on an appropriate tire height and work backwards from there to arrive at an available tire size, then a wheel to fit that tire.

After that, you have to make sure the wheel you've chosen has a backspace measurement that will tuck up underneath there.

Don't think I'm speaking in sweeping generalities to put up smoke and mirrors. I've owned a ton of static dropped trucks over the years with spindles and springs in the front. For me, a tire height of 26-27 inches tall is good for the front. 28-29 inches tall for the rear. From those heights, I could go backwards and search out whatever tire I like in any diameter wheel fitment. Then choose wheels when I've decided on tires.

That's why I just glaze over when it comes to 22" and larger wheels. By the time you get them under the truck with a reasonable tire, you don't really have a slammed truck anymore. You can't have a slammed truck with 30 inch tall tires under it unless you do some hero stuff way beyond a bolt on static drop. There just isn't enough room under one of these trucks to do it without cutting fender wells and such. GM only put so much room underneath these trucks. When you remove some of it by lowering, you're not left with enough for tall wheels and tires. That's why 20s are so popular under lowered trucks. You can run thick tires, dropped suspension, and not need to remove wheel wells or cut body parts.