View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014, 04:47 PM   #7
Tdubbyount

Re: Anyone build their own fuel cell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
Why not use the blazer tank?

Your using dual shield yes? Use metal that's thick enough to put a good bead on but still easy for you to bend and fab with. I've seen some tanks built in an oval by taking sheet steel and bending it around a stump and welding the seam inside and out by having it overlap. Then side plates added a lot of different set ups I've seen on off road rigs some cool and some sketchy. If you look into how the NHRA specify a tank be mounted and built it will prob help with your build in reliability durability and safety.

A torch or plasma cutter and a nice mig can build you pretty much anything. Do you run gtaw at all by chance?
Yeah I run tig in the shop, but I don't have my own I'll be doin this with a plasma cutter, a decent sized brake, and my little Lincoln 140 with solid .035 and 75% Argon/ co2.
As far as mounting goes I'm not quite sure what I'm gonna do. I dont want to just set it on the bed floor, it's gotta have something to set on. And I heard welding on tabs for bolting it down is a bad idea...? Apparently there's a reason gas tanks are strapped not bolted?

And I'm not using the blazer tank cause I have a 10 gallon air can mounted back there under my bed. Running out of space!

1957 Chevy long stepper...not sure what I'm doing with that one yet. Awaiting funds I suppose.
Tdubbyount is offline   Reply With Quote