View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 09:30 PM   #32
mechanixman

Re: DIY Disc Brake Conversion

Ha Ha yeah, I tried unscrewing them until I stripped them and just drilled it out.
Now you don't have to worry about using those holes again anyways. If you look at the second picture in post 27, the two smaller holes are the 2 screws you have right now. The other slightly larger hole (at about 2 o clock) happens to line up with the one of the holes in the rotor. AND the rotor is threaded, so all you need to do is drill out that hole a bit, and pop in a bolt through the hub and into the rotor.
Now the only work that will need to be done to the hub is enlarge the stud holes.(and the alignment hole).
The picture is one of the new studs I bought for the truck. I went to the parts store and just asked for their generic 9/16 size stud. The problem is the different shank sizes. The new holes we need to drill will have to be countersunk.

To find out the right sizes, I sat there with a conversion chart and a caliper making sure of the right sizes. The hub will come up to the top of the spline in the picture.
To fit the spline, you'll need a 19/32 drill bit. This will allow the stud pass through the hub right up to the edge of the threads with ease. Yet it still will leave enough material for the splines to grab on.
Just below the spline, the there is that ridge. To make it fit in the hole, you'll need to use a 5/8 drill bit and counterbore it.
I haven't looked at what size I'll need for the alignment hole.
Attached Images

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page
mechanixman is offline   Reply With Quote