View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #81
KShortell

Thumbs up Re: Let's see your homemade crafts!

Wow! What a bunch of talented guys.

Here are a few projects I've done over the last few years, most within the last couple. Wood shop in high school and mining industry experience as an adult have really paid off for me.

New headboard for the bed w/ room for a radio, books, etc. (red oak and oak plywood, carved wave and fleur de lis finial for decoration. The fleur de lis matches the curtain rod for the window and, well, I just like fleur de lis!).

Gun cart for NRA and CMP high power rifle competition (oak and poplar). The ammo box is removable.

Long gun vise / gun cleaning station. This was made completely of leftover materials from other projects. Even the stain and finish were "surplus". Cost = free, the best kind!

Modified Steadi-Stock for my Pentax K-x SLR camera. It really helps in shooting airplanes in flight at longer distances. It has a remote trigger assembly which I had to fabricate since, like most modern cameras, mine uses an infrared remote. The cable attaches to an "artificial finger" to depress the shutter release. I took the inspiration for the forend from the IWI Tavor bullpup rifle. The aluminum is chemically blackened, not painted.

Fishing rod rack (select white pine).

My new mailbox, my first ground-up masonry project. It has a welded steel rebar core encased in concrete for stability. I like this hybrid look much, much better than the "ammo bunker" look of round-top brick mailboxes. As I'm in the USCG AUX, I added our CG racing stripe and house number to mimic the front end of a CG cutter. The stripes are painted on for durability. I salvaged all of the bricks from the back yard and the original steps that I had to remove for the new deck. I dug many of them up when I laid the electric line out to the new garage I built. They were the remains of an old koi pond that I ran into. Again, free bricks = good!

Sorry for so many photos, but seeing others' projects and sharing my own is too much FUN!