View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #27
chewiebarker

Re: 1971 K20 Rat Rod Resurrection

WHEELS!

After several weeks of pouring over CL ads, and this board, and EBAY, and visting 3 states and 3 diffferent salvage yards, I finally gave in on the dream of finding stock 16.5x7 rims for a decent price and instead chose to find 16 inch rims. It still took a week and a half, but I finally found some steel wheels that accept the 3/4 ton hubcaps!! (pic below) I immediately had to pop one one in order to see how they look, and they look GOOD (even though I know I will have to ditch these C20 hubcaps for the 4x4 versions)! Although...the guy selling the wheels on CL only had 3, so the hunt continues....these wheels only cost me $60.

These rims are off of a mid nineties - ahem, ahem - Ford 350. They are stamped Accuride 29508. According to the Accuride catalog, this number is no longer valid and they refer you to part number 29576 instead. (see pic below) I will clean/paint them up a bit but will likely leave them gray. Or maybe black...

To wrap them, I ordered 4 Mickey Thompson STZs in size 265/75r16 from autoplicity.com for $132 a piece. I thought this was a great price compared to many other options, and lesser tires, that I was finding. Today, these were listed for $142 a piece as prices can fluctuate frequently online. (pic below) I went with the STZs rather than the MTZs (which look tougher) because: 1. I am more inclined to lean towards more of a 'stock' look than a mod look and the MTZs are too chunky for that. 2. I am going to be driving roads 100+ times more frequently than off roading or mudding and on the occasion that I do want to travel a little rough terrain, these will be sufficient to do that, and 3. THE PRICE WAS SO MUCH BETTER!

In addition to the cost issue with the MTZs, I would have preferred a 255/85r16 or even a 235/85r16 in order to get the additional inch plus in height (33 inch versus 31.7 inch) but I was not willing to do that for an additional $100+ in cost PER TIRE. Some day, when I am feeling particularly wealthy, perhaps I will spring for the extra inch. For now, it doesn't matter. I saved some dough, which will allow me to do other things with the truck and I will have some great wheels as well! Can't wait to get them all wrapped up and on the truck!!! (and find 4WD caps of course....)
Attached Images

MY 'BUILD' THREAD: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=618915

Last edited by chewiebarker; 03-12-2014 at 10:20 PM. Reason: spelling correction
chewiebarker is offline   Reply With Quote