View Single Post
Old 03-14-2014, 12:19 AM   #47
beonkey

Re: The Neutered Jimmy (4X4 to 2X4)

Been a while since an update......

So, work has been very busy and 2 kids keep me running around all of the time.
Since I have upgraded the wheels I had some rubbing issues on the inner rear fender wells. This was cured by a rear sway bar that I got on CL for $80. The gentleman I bought it from has some ridiculous rides and I was contemplating buying a used motor from him to swap into the Jimmy. Well you know how when you see a good deal you should buy it then? I didn't... so he sold it to someone else! oh well. I did get the green light from the wife to spend some money on a head and cam swap after she was feeling bad about my misfortune. I started peeling away at the heads of the motor and I found a silt substance in the back of the head, wiped it on a cloth and grabbed a magnet....well it was metal.
After reviewing a lot of crate motor pricing on here and comments online I set out to find a local shop to rebuild my motor. ORANGE ENGINE is where I decided to take it and let me tell you that I thought customer service had been lost in the online ages, but it is hiding in it's final resting place of Orange Engine in Anaheim CA. Jim explained all of my options, gave me free pick up and delivery, valve covers and even let me bring it back for a tune up. I was getting texted pics while the build was happening and am overly pleased with what I got. I decided to go more reliable than power, so we went with a Vortec motor and heads. This sounds great with a mellow idle cause of the ZZ4 grind cam. It has nice power, but it is not a race truck. I feel comfortable getting the family in it and driving around town or to the beach...etc. Jim even text me a week later asking how I like the motor.
So this would be the 3rd or 4th time having the motor out and I am not eager to do this again anytime soon. I just want to drive it for a while now.
Here are some pics.

Name:  motor.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  50.1 KB
beonkey is offline   Reply With Quote