View Single Post
Old 03-14-2014, 07:10 PM   #18
WH0DAMAN

Re: 72 Suburban Custom ipad mini Console build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Chevy View Post
Boat store: That sounds like a good idea, it is just that I live in the middle of no-where..LOL and the closest boat store is 2 hours away. I will look on Amazon to see what I can find.

MDF: I think I will switch up to MDF and do this right. I don't remember what "grade" MDF to use??? I didn't think that Lowes/Home Depot carried the grade that we are suposed to use???

I have some car audio experience, but not as much as I would like when it comes to building custom stuff. So sorry if I ask too many questions, but I am looking for a lot of ideas. I want to build a console with one 15" sub, the floor shifter, two cup holders, and I am not sure if I want anything else in it. Maybe the head unit? And then I want to make custom door panels with pods for the component system speakers. This is for my '74.
MDF is the "grade". Medium Density Fiberboard. The other stuff is called particle board & is not dense enough for subwoofer applications. 3/4" is the thickness you need. You might want to re-think the 15"sub in a center console application. A ten is about max for function. A 15" sub requires too much air space & would require a massive center console if you are going for a sealed enclosure that still looks like a center console. Lowes & Home Depot both carry MDF in 3/4" thickness. Hope this helps.

My 70 Chevy Suburban build:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=574056&page=3
WH0DAMAN is offline   Reply With Quote