View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 10:32 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Making Keys For The 55-59 Chevy Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambow View Post
Good info! funny timing! I had dug up the same info (without the nice pics) and just stopped by an old school locksmith today to have him cut me a key. fingers crossed it will work in the ignition!!

Keys for this truck were lost 20+ years ago- previous owner had rigged up a switch under the dash spliced into the ignition wires to bypass it.
Glad to hear your key worked Ben....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
GREAT INFO!

Thanks so much for posting this. It's great stuff that very few people know much about anymore and you are helping a lot of guys.

Brian
Thanks Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
Nice, professional how-to, LockDoc!
Thanks Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
I had a friend with a ring of 66 master keys that fit a number of old GM vehicles. The ring came in a box of stuff from an old GM dealership. Match up the key then get a copy.

Here in NH it's considered a major violation to be in possession of a master key.
I have a set of those also. They are actually called "tryout keys" and all of the cuts in the keys are half way between the actual factory key depths. They are only supposed to be used to remove the lock cylinder, then you are supposed to cut a key from the code number on the lock. The tryout keys should not be duplicated since they are not the actual cuts for the lock, even though they happen to open it..

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote