View Single Post
Old 06-15-2014, 09:49 AM   #97
DT1

Got the Hard Part Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT1 View Post
After almost choking on my water bill last summer (+ $400.00 Month), I decided to do something about it. My front yard has two rather large lawns so I decided to eliminate one of them in favor of some sort of arid type landscaping. I figured I'd save at least 30% on the water bill by replacing the lawn with something that needs little or no water.

This is a shot of the lawn about two weeks after I started to kill it and cut down two trees. The existing curbing had a radius in the corner, so I needed to straighten it out for fencing.

Then I had to remove the lawn by rototilling it out. When that was done I built a bridge over the curb for the Bobcat to get in.

Got the Bobcat and started to remove many yards of dirt.

And started to put back many yards of new dirt, in hopes of making a crude looking sort of mound.

I then just sort of raked and shaped...

After that I built a raised block planter against the wall so I can eventually plant Oleanders to hide it.

And laid in some curbing to separate the rock, hedge and mound area.

The next step was to erect a nice Idaho ceder split rail fence around the perimeter.

That's all I have for now but I hope I'll have it all completed in about another month.
I finished the hard part this weekend. Laid down the weed block and spread a dump truck load of rock. My wife came out and gave her approval too. Next week I'll start planting.

Weed block

Rock
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote