View Single Post
Old 06-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
bowcoffin

Re: It’s Just A Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce88 View Post
Clean up, clean up, and more clean up it never seams to end.

As it has been seen in previous posts on this build thread it’s mainly the new, rebuilt, or some of the plans for this build. Thought it’s about time to post some pictures of the disassembly not in the condition ready for installation.

As disassembly progresses I’ve run into some problems that where not planed for but that’s just the way a rebuild goes. It always seems to me that the clean up of part and the shop and prepping the parts for installation takes a lot more time than the disassembly or assembly. (Na it just must be me)

I’ve been spending most of my time working on the mechanical and electrical aspects of the truck rebuild (my strong area of knowledge) and less on the body work and paint at this time (my weak area of knowledge) where I will be looking for a lot of input from the forum as time goes on.

Front end sheet metal removed, I have most of the sheet metal new and used that will be reworked later.

Attachment 413627

The truck bed wood was rotten and was easy to remove with a small pry bar in about 15 minuets and about 2 hours of cleaning up the wood chips that where all over. The nuts & bolts on the metal strips are rusted pretty bad and will be cutting them out. I don’t know what I would do with out my angle cutoff air tool. It can be dangerous and it uses a lot of air but it sure makes short work at cutting bolts and metal fabrication. I use 3 inch x .035 thick cutoff discs rather than the thicker ones.

The work bench always seems to be cluttered and perpetually needs cleaning.

Attachment 413628

This gives me the chance to show off my new acquisition for the shop. A 26 inch HD flat screen TV with a wall mount. It sure brings my shop closer to my second front room, a place to keep up with Hot Rod TV or the football game. I know the shop is not as fancy as the ones you see on TV or some of the other forum members have, but you do with what you have.

Attachment 413629

Free, free, free or should I just request you to help me clean my shop.
I’m not into selling or shipping used items so to any one close to the Everett, Washington area with some truck transportation and a possibly a little swet labor for removal I have a free 350 SB Chevy engine and TH350 Automatic Transmission to rebuild for you.

What I know about the engine and trans is very little. It appears to be the original engine and trans for the truck. No VIN number on front block deck surface (not unusual for GM manufacturing) I have no idea how many miles the engine has on it (speedometer was disconnected when I bought the truck). The engine was running but burning/ leaking oil prior to starting truck rebuild. The trans was slipping some and leaking oil. See attached pic below for block numbers. I will be posting the engine and trans in the for sale area of this forum in one or two days. PM me if your interested

I’ve rebuild a few 350 SB Chevy engines and you never know weather its rebuild able until you take it apart but I see no reason that this engine or trans is not. For any one wanting to rebuild a SB Chevy engine I recommend a HPBooks (how to rebuild your SMALL-BLOCK CHEVY) Book by David Vizard. I’ve used the book more times than I can remember to make sure I don’t forget anything in my rebuilds. Still in print, mine was printed in 1978 can be found at Amazon.com.

Attachment 413630
Rookie question.. In the second picture.. where do you find that number? Trying to figure out what year my 350 is. (Looks to be swapped out since the 350 wasnt till 69)
bowcoffin is offline   Reply With Quote