View Single Post
Old 07-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #9
LSXapache

Re: '05 5.3l mysterious misfire

I wont say the misfire detection is completely off but the range is opened up so wide that its not detecting any. Engine runs exactly the same from first start up on through closed loop as far as the misfire is concerned. That's why I'm not pointing a finger at tuning is it does it cold or warm in open loop. I revisited the leak down test this morning with a fresh mind and realized I listened at the oil fill and TB but not the exhaust. I went to the exhaust on that side and sure enough it was leaking air. So I pulled the head thinking I was going to find an obvious burnt valve but what I found was 3,5,7 have leaking exhaust valves(leak solvent, can see flash light(stuck in port ) around valve in dark room). Gonna fix the valve issues(going to do both heads as the other's probably in the same condition) and see if that has any effect on my misfire. Kind of puzzled as to why compression could be 175-180 on 5,7 w/ leaking valves, probably just means I have a ring issue with 3 as I could hear air out of oil fill.