Thread: Project Texa Go
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #129
Billett

Re: Project Texa Go

Well you won't believe what seems to have solved my problems.

A $10 gas cap.

I noticed one day when I was filling up that some fluid came out of the cap when I took it off. At first I thought it was just gas that got caught in the lip of the cap, but when some rolled down my hand I took a sniff and it definitely was not gas. I think the seal was loose letting water into my tank slowly over time which would explain the random misfires and general crappy performance and terrible mileage. It would also make sense for why it was so tough for the guy in DE to tune. We had snow so often that I'm sure it kept getting right into the tank.

I got the new stant cap two days ago and put it on and drove 100 miles or so yesterday with no problems at all so I have high hopes.

In addition, I used to just have the old sock-style filter in the tank, but i think that may have come off and some debris and crap has been getting through to the pump. I finally picked up a nice aeromotive 100 micron filter to put in line before the pump. Hopefully the combo of new cap/no water and a nice new filter should have the truck running and performing better.
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote