Thread: Which wax?
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 09:51 PM   #19
davepl

Re: Which wax?

I was never a big Meguiar's fan until they released the "Microfibre Correction System" a year or two ago. I bought the hardware and the starter kit with correction fluid and wax.

I have a lot of black cars, and I've been polishing and waxing my own since about '84. I've tried them all, even the stupid expensive ones (which are rarely better than Turtle Wax). I highly recommend it. I use a 500W halogen lamp to look for swirls, so I'm pretty picky. The Microfiber system (dumb name) is still orbital, not rotary. So you likely won't burn through anywhere. Yet its the only orbital that I've seen that will actually clean up swirls and scratches (as opposed to just filling them). That's its claim to fame.

When I was done polishing and waxing, I added a second coat on part of the hood in little two-foot-square sections. I then waxed one with Turtle Wax, one with the famous Orange bottle (forget the name, NuFinish?) and one with 3M Hand Glaze.

The two waxes made the reflections sort of milky, which surprised me. The 3M Glaze looked just as good if not better and without that milkiness.

Keep in mind there are two ways to get rid of swirl marks: knock the rest of the surface down to their depth (which is what I do with the correction part of the Meguiar's system) or fill them (which is what I do with the wax and hand glaze).

Filling them looks just about as good if you have a quality polish/wax, but the effect fades pretty quick, especially if you wash it.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote