View Single Post
Old 10-06-2014, 01:19 AM   #235
sdwolff98
Turning Wrenches Daily

Re: 1964 GMC 3/4 ton build :D

And on to other things did some talking with several ls performance shops about the 6.0 engine before I started dumping money into it. Come to find out it was not going to work for the Allison without a large chunk of money for a turbo or supercharger 11:1 compression etc so I sold it off at a slight profit and got something with both factory capability and enormous build potential after doing some reading on a nice build thread on performance trucks forums hehehehe. Enter the vortec 8100 496 cubes picked up one cheap at a local salvage yard. The heads are in the shop right now since GM thought 8 mm exhaust studs would be quite fine in the head NOT!!!! 3 of the broke flush in the block lol. So they are getting repaired as we speak. Going to go back with a set of arp head studs and get it all back together next week. Got the short block and Allison in the truck and it fits decently had to pull the engine forward on to the 6 cylinder mounts on the frame and may have to do alil radiator relocation but will know more when its assembled and in completely and the nose is back on. I am going to have a friend section the trans cross member a slight bit to get the Allison mounted in the rear which will give me 1/2" clearance on the floor pan. the bell housing on the Allison wasn't going to clear the floor hence the 6 cylinder mounting spot. and it cleared just find from that point back. Also the truck blocks have both traditional and the duramax style engine mounting bolt holes to work with

Sean
Attached Images

1964 GMC I1500 2wd (my baby) 8.1 allison 6 spd conversion Aka Smurf http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=438342
2016 Ram Big Horn 4WD parts hauler
2010 Chevy HHR wife new car after the circled problem blew up!!!
1981 Ram D150 /6 auto Wife's sunday driver

Living outside Gladewater Texas now working in Longview at the hospital there

future project toys:
1966 Chevy K14 carryall aka Smurfette future project 283/auto overdrive http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=551867
sdwolff98 is offline   Reply With Quote