View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #55
endlessearth

Re: What did you do to your truck today part III

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVPhotos View Post
Overhaul installs headliners, might be a Monkey without one! Did you use a 2 or 3 rib lower pully for the Air/PS?
Here is a response to your question direct from the builder:

Grant had said some one was asking about which crank pulley I used in this installation. That was a bit of an odyssey on this one. See, for some reason, this truck was equipped with a rudimentary batch of smog controls from the factory in '64.... I know that doesn't sound even reasonable, but every body that I have talked to about this and shown it to simply scratches their head and wonders, too. It was ALL factory, as well. But the lower pulleys that came on this truck were like no other Chevy stuff that I or any body had seen, and were slightly different off set than others that I had here. All had Chevy part numbers. So, long story short, I used the stock cast lower three grove pulley, but needed a to groove upper. I found what was supposed to match via a Chevy truck parts guy in California via E-bay, but when it arrived it matched the other "standard" Chevy short pump two groove pulleys I had around, which put it about 3/8" off from the lower.

I lucked out in finding a guy in far east Mesa that runs a small business parting these trucks, that didn't wrinkle his nose and tell me I was nuts as I told him what was up... And he just happened to have another "oddly" equipped '64 in.... with a two groove water pump pulley! All matched and was well.

I used a Vintage Air direct fit kit on this truck, and would recommend it to anybody, but I do have to mention that due to things such as the fresh air inlet hoses on Grant's truck, I did end up modifying lots of it.

About the biggest was the compressor mount. When we did the engine earlier this year, I noticed that the "Corvette" style 2 1/2" ram's horns that Speedway is reproducing had accessory mount on both sides as opposed to the standard's driver's side only. Taking advantage of this fact, instead of running the Vintage Air semi kinda ugly self supporting compressor bracket, I made up one that would utilize that Corvette ram's horn's mounts... Hard to see in photos, but it looks like it belongs there since the beginning of time.