View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 07:05 AM   #1
bufmatmuslepants

Project "vanity Yukon"

Well I went down to Virginia beach this weekend to help my grandparents move into their new house in my escape with my wife, daughter and dog and my little escape was stuffed with baby stuff. We got there and my grandparents had this beautiful marble double sink vanity that they removed and were going to throw away since they had a wheelchair accessible sink put in. We had been shopping for vanitys like this and needed this exact one, but it wouldn't fit in the escape with all of our stuff, and they needed it gone now since they needed to put their van in the garage.

So I pull up Craigslist, find a 97 Yukon 4 door with 168k that says "needs fuel injector" for a good price. I grab my cousin and go see it. The guy shows me that if you put the key in and immediately start it without dilly dallying and don't let the fuel pump prime, it starts right away. Take it for a ride and it shifts fine through all gears but won't go into overdrive, and I knew from past research this was the 1-2 shift solenoid. We haggle a price and $1100 takes it home. I stopped at advance auto and grabbed a 1-2 shift solenoid, tranny fluid and filter and gasket, 2 bottles of the lethal fuel injector cleaner I used on the last truck, and a bottle of some other stuff they had on sale. I get back, change the 1-2 solenoid, and it still wouldn't go into 4th. I put both bottles of the lethal stuff in the tank at 1/2 full, so 4x more concentrated than recommended. We fit the vanity in and I put the front plate of my escape on it, put it on my insurance, and headed home Sunday. We stopped after 100 miles of 2800rpm 3rd gear cruising to eat and it was a pain to start, had to put be at WOT then it would fire. Left it running while I filled it with 93 and added the last bottle of injector cleaner. As I left the gas station and hit 40mph it hesitated really bad, threw an SES light, then finally went into 4th gear. From there on out it ran on OD fine and shifted through all gears. I stopped a few times on the way on the side of the highway and did WOT runs to 75 to shift hard through all gears and run it hard and it didnt miss a beat.
1995 NZZ GT4 2dr Tahoe 3" lift 14 bolt sf 155k 305/70/16s - GONE
1994 Z28 M6
1995 Z71 GT4 G80 ext cab short bed 215k GONE
1997 GT4 G80 Yukon 4 door leather, sunroof 168k miles GONE
2003 Avalanche Z71 GT4 G80 165k miles
bufmatmuslepants is offline   Reply With Quote