View Single Post
Old 12-15-2014, 02:28 PM   #125
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: DIY Disc Brake Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate_ View Post
I have seen kits with the needle bearings in place of the copper sleeves that go into the axle. At least that's how it am interpreting it. I have read that the ball bearings are not good or will not work with the disc brakes and are the ball bearings ok for "today's" highway speeds?
They work with disc brakes fine. I've never read anything from a bearing maker or a car maker that states otherwise. I have seen as much negative internet lore against swapping ball to roller as I have about using ball on disc. I haven't read yet that anyone says yes that happened to me first hand, its always I heard it can or some one wrote there cousins first wife's nephew ............ As long as your using good bearings and they are clean and properly greased and adjusted there should be no issue. Ball bearings are use in a multitude of high speed high temp applications. Is taper better,,, Yes,, but there is no direct swap from ball to taper its a make fit swap.

The real issue is making sure the bearing is adjusted properly on a disc, its much more critical that on a drum brake. Angular contact bearing, which are the ball type on the spindle now, are characterized as capable of much higher RPM. Taper roller ( modern spindle) have more thrust radial load capacity, (not radial tire load), and are stiffer that angular contact. that means they can use a smaller bearing and get the same load capacity.

With that said he angular contact ball is capable of 100% load in radial or thrust postilions or a combination of 100%

Would a angular ball bear be good for road race where there is a lot of thrust load, no. Taper would be better.

Last edited by dwcsr; 12-15-2014 at 06:39 PM.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote