View Single Post
Old 12-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #29
WTX-65LWB

Re: 1965 C10 LWB - Bringing Back a Part of the Family

Been a while since my last update. Made some progress on the rust repairs. The passenger side is pretty much finished up. I have a few days off work around New Years, so I am hoping to tear into the drivers side then.

I tore into the TBI 350 I picked up and found more significant wear/damage than I was hoping. I knew the motor had blown a head gasket but I was hoping the damage wouldn't be so extensive. The #5 cylinder had been holding water for a while and shows some noticeable vertical scoring. I tore down the head and gauged it for flatness. The area around the #5 cylinder was more than 0.010 out. After weighing the cost of machine work and a complete rebuild, I decided to stick with the 292/SM465 combo for the time being. In all reality, it is pretty neat to be able to preserve the heritage of the truck especially since my Dad and Granddad put the motor and trans. I scored a sweet deal on a complete 1971 rear end with 3.08 gears. That will give me the cruising speeds I am looking for with the old 4 speed. I have also picked up the parts for the power steering conversion (steering gear, pump, etc.) and a under dash AC system with Sanden Style compressor. I bought a two-belt AC, PS, Alternator bracket system from Davis Speed Equipment to mount all of the accessories up. I haven't installed the parts yet but I am very pleased with the build quality of the brackets. I will chronicle the install of the bracket set and accessories closely since there are a number of 292s on the board who might be interested.

On the interior, I picked up some replacement levers and a cable set for the deluxe heater controls. Two of my levers are broke so this should take care of the issue. I also picked up a 1965 C10 radio on eBay. Since the unit is only AM, I am planning to convert the stock unit to Bluetooth with an Aux Input (I am kind of an electronics nerd). My goal is for the unit to still look stock from the outside but have modern connectivity.

Anyways, more pictures to come as I get into the next stages of work!
Attached Images

WTX-65LWB is offline   Reply With Quote