View Single Post
Old 01-15-2015, 02:45 PM   #3
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: How to protect these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
best way I know of havin them protected during the winter weather is to keep them in a closet and ride on steelies and put them on ibn late spring after a few good rainstorms have cleared the road of wintertime salt
I agree with the thought of putting them in the closet. Aluminum is susceptible to the salts and chemicals of the winter process. Aluminum is also very porous and there is lettle that you can do to protect them completely. My son has s set of aluminum Eagle wheels on his wife's impala and we clean them each and every time we change oil.

There are products that does help, but it is not impervious to weather. I use a metal protectant from Wizards products that works to seal the aluminum and keeps dirt and corrosive materials ou of the pores. It is called Power Seal, and so far, it is the best that I have found.

After buying my last truck, I went to my local tire/wheel dealer type guy and bought a set of metal rim take-offs with tires for a fair price and now I put them on for winter. It also gives me a good set of aggressive tread tires for the snow.