View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015, 02:09 AM   #53
Johnny_Lamebridge

Re: My '63 C10 "I'd rather be driving" Project

I wanted to trial fit the T5 in the truck to mark and cut the shifter hole. With the truck up on jackstands, I tried jacking the tranny up and wrestle it into position. I struggled for a long time trying to get the input shaft into the pilot bushing. Pretty tough balancing the tranny on a jack, then the jack is in the way so you can't see what you're doing. Unsuccessful, I gave up... figuring that I'd get the truck up on the hoist so I could stand up and see what was going on.

I cleaned up the tranny case, then sprayed it with aluminum paint to even things out. While it was drying, I rolled under the truck to take some measurements. I figured out that there isn't any clearance to lift the tranny high enough to engage the tranny spigot into the bellhousing. My truck has a removable low hump (that the PO decided to install with sheet metal screws!). I removed it, but there still doesn't appear to be enough room to clear the T5 top cover. I guess I'll need to find a high hump, or mod the floor ahead of the removable panel.

To remove the floor hump panel, I had to first scrape of the rubber underpad glued to the floor underneath the carpet. Is this stuff an automotive product?

Anyway, this is where I am now...
Attached Images

@johnny_lamebridge on Instagram
Johnny_Lamebridge is offline   Reply With Quote