View Single Post
Old 02-22-2015, 08:36 PM   #54
4mulaSvaliant

Re: 64 "Large Marge" LWB-SWB / Build thread.

So today......
Today was the first day I have had a chance to do anything at all worth a crap outside. Its been unusually cold here.
So I wanted to give my truck a bit of attention primarily because I have been steady driving it and thats it. Nothing other than the exhaust has been done.

So I started with hooking up the tach thats been on the column since soon after I got it running.
The reasons were both general concerns for what the engine was up to, and more interestingly what my final RPMs were.
I have a stock 84 350, a T5 trans wit a .73 overdrive gear and "thought" my rear gears were incredibly tall!
Turns out I am right in the sweet spot with RPMs.
2100 @ 65mph
2300 @ 75mph

I was extremely happy to find this out as I was just about to pull the trigger on new gears.
so needless to say, Ill not be changing a thing for now.

Beyond that I checked my timing a few weeks ago and was happy with where it sat. (I set it "by ear" and with no timing light) So after determining it was actually spot on with a timing light.
I decided it was time to get the carb dialed in as I knew it was running rich since I rebuilt the carb.

Hooked up the vacuum gauge and stared tweaking the mixture screws to get the highest vacuum possible, then ran em back in just a hair. Its running great and the exhaust smells much better now!

Aside from that I managed to score a set of 2006 Honda civic coupe door seals for $40.00 off CL.
I was / am happy as hell with the end product. I'll be sure to add important photos of that tomorrow.

Anyhow a very productive day today on the truck. Not to mention the amount of $ that the tach saved me today from not needing new gears! I should have known better to check my RPMs before even contemplating another set of gears in the first place!