View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #18
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Let's Go Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I knew I could lure that '78 out in this thread. I missed that your truck got a story in 4wheel & Off Road. Not surprised a bit. I always wondered what the deal was with those little Sterlings. Rarely have seen one and no one I've asked has even known what I was talking about. That first rig in post #15 has me thinking about building something like that. Never considered such a simple design. On a longbed that could be supported off the front bumper
Yeah, the Sterling Bullet (2007-2009) was a short lived love child between two sister companies at the time. Back in 2007 Sterling was a Daimler Trucks North America company while Chrysler Corp (Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler) was a DaimlerChrysler company….both reported to the mothership Mercedes. Rebadging the RAM 4500 and 5500 chassis cabs as Sterlings gave the Sterling brand a quick entry into the class 4 and 5 medium duty market. Daimler Trucks killed off the Sterling brand in 2009 across the board, which wasn’t a bad thing. Sterling’s were all bastard trucks anyway where their offerings were based on old Ford L series tractors, rebadged Dodge Ram chassis cabs, & rebadged Mitsubishi Fuso’s. The entire Sterling concept was pretty ill conceived from the beginning. Sterling has zero control over quality and struggled to service their different vehicles because they were all different branded trucks where there were no parts commonality or anything. Sterling dealers struggled to fix a sandwich!

The Silverado with the tent topper thing is called a Flip-Pac. They are really cool! Simple and light... The problem is for the cost of a new one, a person can buy a good used pickup camper for a ton less money and it seems durability problems seem to plague these things. Still a neat concept though!

Here is along bed version. The flip over bed thing remains the same size as the shorter models

The camper shell on your old yellow truck is pretty cool too. Was that a Callen camper? Wish you still lived out this way to go play in the desert with us.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote