View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 01:39 PM   #14
First c10

Re: 4x4 LS cross member

FYI, this is some information sent to me from cmabolt "Thanks Chris"

Originally Posted by cmabolt
Hello, I just wanted to write you regarding your interest in the LS crossmembers. I didn't want to highjack Dwilber's Build thread.

I used the pacific fab crossmember only because Dirty Dingo didn't have theirs on the market yet for 4x4's. Pacific Fab's crossmember is an extremely well built piece. Very strong. I put it in place and aligned it where the original motor mounts were. I then dropped the cab and found that the rear passengers side valve cover was hitting the firewall. I did some research and found that others had moved the motor forward to make some space between firewall and motor. I moved my crossmember forward 2" which gave me nice clearance in front of the firewall and plenty of room up front for an electric fan.

The dirty dingo crossmember looks to be well engineered as well. I think it's cheaper too. If I we're to do it again, I would probably go with the dirty dingo crossmember. One benefit is that you can actually drop the center section of the crossmember to remove the oil pan. This is not available on the pacific fab crossmember.

In conclusion, they are very similar in design, but I am sure dirty dingo has the advantage as they probably engineered theirs to take advantage of the shortcomings of the pacific fab unit. That's what I would do. If you plan to do headers or use a manual trans with hydraulic setup see my build thread or 69Crash. We both used pacific fabs crossmember. 69crash used an automatic and I used a manual trans. I used headers and he used manifolds. A ton of info on both builds.

Good luck, I hope this helps you make a decision.
Chris
1970 C10 Yellow/White Deluxe LWB w/ 5.3L-LC9/6L80E
1968 K10 LWB Dark green my son calls it "THE HULK Jr"HULK JR *SOLD*
GO GO!!!
First c10 is offline   Reply With Quote