View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 09:29 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Re: 87 chevy lift question. ..?????

I'd have to look at the lift arm, but are they a full 4" more offset than stock, or closer to 3"? Although they say you don't "have to", I get what you're thinking. If the steering arm is closer to 3" offset over stock then it should result in keeping right about the stock geometry, which is good. The same lift arm is used for 4 and 6" and I don't know of any taller for bigger lifts. There is stock and there is a range that will work over and under that angle. If you lift 2" and keep the stock arm as recommended you have more angle than using a lift arm with 3" lift. For me using a spacer is a no go and I'm not too fond of the bent drag links. Drag links pivot as well as turn and go up and down. As they pivot (ever so little, I know) it changes it's geometry ever so little. Picture a hand crank. As the suspension cycles, wheels turn, and that part pivots I see changes in geometry that won't occur with a straight part, as factory designed. if nothing else, I'd think the ends could wear faster, especially if not lubed often enough

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote