View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 05:48 PM   #66
68c10airstream

Re: Looking for planning help for polebarn style workshop to be built in the spring

safety concerns and heat ideas: a good friend died recently that put up pole building as a side line (he had his own construction co.) His remark was " don't forget that a pole building can have more uplift force than downward gravitational force" he also said " the foundation should be anchored very well below grade to hold the pole barn in place to prevent it from becoming a parachute during high winds with a door open". As far as heat is concerned look up on youtube for "jean pain heating" This guy uses wood chips placed on top off a coil of pex tubing and water is run through the tubing inside a building for heat. Wet the chips as you build up a mound of the chips. A friend started this, didn't complete it because of divorce but his research was 160 degree water for 18 months. Mix in manure and 180 degree plus. He said " just look at it for 18 months, don't touch it, it can rain or snow on it, whatever, makes no difference. I think he stated it was a 12 foot diameter by 8 foot high mound. A friend has a manure pile and he states if you disturb it in winter that there is so much steam that comes out of the pile you can't see what you are doing. Imagine a building heated remotely, don't have to mess with it, no open flame inside the building, no high propane bills, you are in control of the outcome, and plumb that tubing into a unit heater blowing warm air DOWN LOW across the floor. Low cost, user friendly, etc. It would require a wood chipper to make the chips and of course the wood to begin with. Now, any of you that live up north and want to expand this into an additional sauna building i have a story to share if you want it about a friend who designed it. End result was the kids now are off the nintendo, shovel the driveway, and the sauna is their warming shack. Just ask, i'll share, and tell the benefits of the sauna!
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote