Thread: IFS Lift Keys
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2015, 08:48 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Re: IFS Lift Keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
This is one of those case where your sample size is small with just 1 truck. Your experience worked out OK which is cool, but others do have problems doing the same thing.

I know that you are an experienced mechanic and would recognize if something was way out of whack...
Don't short change me, Mike. I've had TWO!
I don't consider myself a mechanic. Just a guy who has done what he could to fix up and keep running whatever I've had. I like to understand how what I use works, if nothing else.

I didn't intend to start a thread asking a question so I could disagree with the replies. Especially with you. It's obvious you have full circle understanding of drivetrain & suspension. My '90s trucks have been work trucks with only mild changes while my older trucks were always my toys. They've been driven where a 4wd was required, but I don't go 4 wheelin' and take them to the limits. I can see where if I used keys, then cranked some more I would be at one end of the limits when the sweet spot was intended in the middle. I never heard of keys till lately. There were never any lift keys offered the first 10 or more years I owned the '92. When I ordered my truck we went through every option and there was no plow package that I saw or any other suspension option. I did get the off road package but I saw no mention of enhanced suspension as a feature of that. IIRC, something was changed from prior years where adjusting torsion bars had just become possible. Could be wrong. Never had anything from 88-91. I think I'm good with where the Suburban sits now, about 2" up. I think it's about where I had my '92. i don't see any benefit to buying lift keys if the same issues can occur. My intention with starting this thread was to see why this shop owner would say they tear things up when they don't lift any more than I cranked mine. I've heard of others having to replace stuff and considered myself lucky...or they weren't as easy on their stuff as I am. When the truck was on order in '92 I was fueling up my '84 and a guy with a newer IFS truck was saying I better hang onto my truck because those new suspensions were crap. He had already had CVs replaced and something else. I started worrying I made a mistake getting one. It came in and I drove the wheels off of it for 22 years with original CVs...go figure. I've had enough lumber on my racks to depress the front end enough for the tires to rub and towed with enough tongue weight to lift the front end up enough to clear 35s ().
It may have been the communication I had with this buddy was a bit off from what that shop owner had said to him. My buddy gave me the impression he was told the keys will do harm that cranking won't, when the shop guy was probably saying you still risk the same issues with cranking. My (young) buddy is the type of guy who wants to put a solid axle under his Suburban to drive to work. That used to be me, but I'm more practical now and feel the IFS is just right for it's intended use, like other factory things some guys like to rag on. I use mine as intended...with a slightly larger tire, that's all.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 03-09-2015 at 08:54 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote