View Single Post
Old 03-16-2015, 09:27 PM   #669
theastronaut

Re: Project Goldilocks, '66 C10 SWB BBW Build

In other news, Bomp has been rubbing off on me. Except I haven't been working on building a C10 farm. I've bought a couple more Conquests, a '63 VW Convertible, and a '77 Celica GT. I'm down to just two Conquests now (from 5) but the '63 Vert and Celica will probably end up as keepers. I'm hoping to sell one of the Conquests and the blue/white '66 C10 so I can build the Celica as a daily driver.

The '63 Vert was a craigslist find, saw the listing one morning and went to check it out on my lunch break. It turned out to be extremely straight and solid, and fairly complete. The guy only wanted $700 for it and even delivered it since it was still loaded on his trailer. Unfortunately the frame, vin plate, and title were used to build a... trike. I have a friend with a matching numbers but rusty '63 Vert that may become a donor car. I had an extra sedan frame that I threw it on to make it roll, and stuck it in the barn for a future project.

The Celica was pretty random. I'd never even seen a first gen Celica until I gave a buddy a ride to a used car dealer where he was buying a '91 twin turbo AWD Stealth R/T. While we were there he said that I needed to check out the really cool old Celica around back. I'm thinking "A Celica? That's going to be stupid..." Well, I had a change of heart after seeing it and hearing the old stories of the guy racing Celicas back in the 80's. He still had some left over race parts and the car had one of his race heads and cam installed. The price was right, and a few weeks later I still hadn't gotten it out of my mind so I went back last weekend to buy it. He ended up throwing in some of his old racing parts (extra intakes/carbs, new Arias forged pistons, etc.) when I went back to pick it up. It should make a cool daily, and the nasty lope at idle should scare the ricer kids that happen to end up beside it at a red light. I already had a pair of 40mm Weber sidedraft carbs that I'll throw on it (I reeeally like IR intakes and Weber/Dellorto carbs if you haven't noticed by now!) and it'll get Euro/Japanese spec bumpers, coilovers, and minilite style wheels... eventually.

The friend I dropped off (the one I'm blaming for all this!) helped to do a "Krylon Makeover" last weekend so it'll be less ugly once I start driving it.

They look pretty cool fixed up.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote