View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 03:29 PM   #6
RIDE-RED 350r

Re: School me on replacing gears...

One thing I urge you to keep in mind about buying used axles, especially axles that were alrsdy pulled and sitting for an unknown period of time, particularly outside: Be prepared to find out you need to rebuild the axle anyway. Condensation does form after a while and will cause corrosion on the ring gear and possibly other components depending on how it was stored. Sure, corrosion will wear off the gear, but when its excessive I do not believe it will play very nice with the carrier and pinion bearings as it wears off and gets suspended in the gear lube. I say this because I experienced it firsthand. I needed a particular axle and I had only one option. I ended up replacing all of the internals except the posi unit. No complaints though, I have peace of mind that I can expect my rebuilt axle to got 100k plus with no issues.

Obviously, this is not nearly as big a deal if you buy axles from a running and driving truck.

There are places you can get away with cutting corners here and there, axles generally are not one of them.