View Single Post
Old 03-21-2015, 01:32 PM   #29
RIDE-RED 350r

Re: School me on replacing gears...

Yes, the ratios must match.

What I was saying is that I have seen K-10's with mismatched ratios between front and rear and that it is quite interesting when someone tries to use 4wd not knowing the axle ratios don't match. It's a good way to do some damage to the driveline of the truck.

The reason these goofs got away with a half-arsed re-gear of a 4x4 was that they would not use 4x4.

Then they would sell the truck to a hapless buyer (in one case, my brother) and when said buyer tries to use 4x4 the first time the darned thing about went off the road.

When he figured out what the problem was, he had one axle re-geared to match them up and be able to use 4x4. There were a few broken teeth on the front ring gear.. And that was only attempting to use 4x4 for a brief couple of minutes before realizing something was seriously wrong.

Moral of the story here: Make sure 4x4 functions properly before buying a truck. But if for whatever reason you do not confirm proper 4x4 function before buying, pull the covers on both axles and check gear ratios.

If you have already used 4x4 with no issues, your gears match. If they did not match it would be incredibly obvious to you that something is amiss.