View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 10:10 PM   #97
dieseldude4bt

Re: How Many Of You Drive Your 60-66 Trucks Daily?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC View Post
Very nice. Did you stuff a diesel in it or gas motor...
I've always wondered if a diesel would get better milage than a gasoline motored truck....
Crap! I just saw that you put a Cummings in it...
I have had many motors in it over the years, when My Grandpa bought it for me as a graduation present in high school it was 2x4 and had a 235 in it. I converted it to 4x4 my self in my late teens early twenty's, while everyone keep telling me I could not do that. It was running an auto and an Olds 350 at the time of the green 4x4 pic a few posts back.
Latter I decided to get a 4 speed and built my first Chevy 350, 30 over flat top pistons camel hump heads 202 & 194 valves Isky cam Ebelbrock intake and a Holly 650 double pumper when I first painted it Red & White. Best it ever did was 14mpg if you were easy on it.
In a moment of weakness I sold it to a younger brother of my best friend and he wrecked it! twice!! Crunched pic, I got it back from him less the engine, and already had one kid and another on the way so it was either make it work or get rid of it extended cab pic.
With no engine and wanting a turbo diesel I had a friend tell me about the Cummins 4bt. I never heard of it but an article came out in Fourwheeler mag about an older Jeep Wagoneer and I called the conversion shop and they talked me in to the idea.
It works as well as the 350 but does almost double on fuel mileage. It will get 24-26 combined easily and I have gotten as good as 30 on on the high way on occasion.