View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 03:36 AM   #205
mattbert56

Re: 1965 C20 fleet side longbed DD low budget build.

Well transfer case is done. And it's only 12:27. Or 0027 if you go off of what my phone says. Hahaha. To aid in the assembly I put the idler shaft in a bucket of ice water for few minutes and got the bearing it was receiving toasty with a torch put on some large welding gloves and as the shaft slid threw the gears it met a nice and toasty bearing. Few swift smacks of a wooden mallet and she was set perfectly....kinda. know the saying fool me one shame on you fool me twice shame on me. Yeah... I installed it backwards so I got it warm again and carefully disassemble it with a sledge hammer... came apart fine...flipped idler shaft..re instaled. .... S&*T put the helical cut gear in backwards.... okay uninstall it carefully again.... blew up the brand new bearing I spent 40 bucks on. Well shat...I just can't win... found the old one and lone behold it was in perfect shape. Third time putting it back together and it turned out fine. Fit perfectly boom assemble. clean all greese off prep for paint t and shot it matte black. Has all new grade 8 hardware. Done. .. goodnight hahahaha

1965 k20 buikd thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=628346&page=6
mattbert56 is offline   Reply With Quote