View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 06:26 AM   #16
D13

Re: What can be said about the 4-speed New Process NV833 overdrive manual transmissio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
I'm confused were there two flavors of this trans cause talking to my Mopar buddy who is building a '71 Challenger race car right now so he knows his stuff he says those are great transmissions strong as hell and used by Mopars with the big blocks, FYI he is not putting one in, to this car I was just making a point the guy can wrench
The original A-833's were a heavy duty 4 speed with conventional gearing. They even made a super strong version for the Hemi cars.

The version we are talking about, they flipped the gear clusters to give an overdrive, resulting in a super low 1st gear. Most of them are aluminuim, not cast iron cases (it appears the 4wd version may be cast iron), and will flex under heavy load, causing the shfts to go out of alignment. The revised shafts are much weaker than the original version. One of the shift levers is flpped to make this work.
GM offered them behind 4.3's and 305's, plus the 6.2 diesel which was desinged to match the 305 in power. They are not a high torque drag race capable trans like the original A-833! Big block and slicks = bang!
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote