View Single Post
Old 08-09-2015, 10:34 PM   #91
Janky59

Re: 3 speed overdrive!!, now about getting it in.......

I've made some progress. I used most of the weekend to work on getting the electrical side of things in order. Using the schematic drawn up by Gianyveedub (thanks) I made up some leads, mounted the relay, mounted a terminal strip to pick up battery power, mounted a toggle switch in the dash. The toggle switch should glow green when I have the OD powered up, sort of like someone else mentioned.

I used the open hole in the dash where the cig.lighter used to be for the toggle switch, I cut a little plate to hang the relay from the bottom bolt of the battery tray, and drilled and tapped a hole in the side of the battery tray for the terminal strip.

I can't say this will all work as I haven't gotten the trans installed yet, so wait for a later update for confirmation.

I have to order and install a push/pull cable for the lockout arm. I'll install that to the right of the toggle switch, where the high idle speed push/pull is now.

I picked up a simple gasket kit for a standard 3 speed, and ordered the output shaft seal. I took the door off there the shift linkage attaches and looked around with a flashlight. Things look decent, there is some tooth chipping on the beginning of the gear at the top. It doesn't seem too bad to me (from a guy that has next to zero transmission experience) for something with non synco 1st gear. I took a magnetic wand and swept around in the bottom of the trans and I didn't come across any gear debris.

I'm on the fence of whether to have a local trans shop give the trans a once over, to check it out and see if they think any bearings, syncros, etc. should be replaced. I keep going back and forth - yes, then no - well, now is the time to do it, then people say these are overbuilt, durable transmissions so do I really need to open it up.

If anybody has $.02 to add about that, feel free. That's it for now, cheers.
Attached Images

2011 Ducati Hypermotard
1959 Chevy 3100
Janky59 is offline   Reply With Quote