View Single Post
Old 08-23-2015, 11:59 AM   #12
Bradydz

Re: GMC '64 build brought back from the dead? Big booboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Running those longer axles really isn't a good idea. The wheel bearings may or may not be riding on a sufficient area of the axle. Then your brake shoes will not be making full contact with the drums. You will also have dirt, gravel. etc. getting inside your rear drums. I would strongly suggest the correct length axles. You will have to either buy the conversion axles, or have the original ones plugged and drilled to 5 x 5". But only modify the original axles if the wheel/axle bearing surfaces are in excellent condition.
Thank you for reading through and giving me some advice. I wasn't sure if it'd be okay to run them or not, I just couldn't find any posts about it other than one other person saying they had done the same thing. I'll have to check with him and see if he's ever had any issues?
It does appear that it has enough surface to ride on, but the shoes was also a concern of mine. as well as the dirt comment.
I'll find out from a local shop how much it will be to fill and drill my 6 lug axles. Thank you for watching out!
Bradydz is offline   Reply With Quote