View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 03:07 PM   #66
HUSSEY

Re: "Albert" -- 1949 AD, S10 Chassis

Before I got the cab back on I made up my transmission cross member. I picked up a cross member kit from Summit. The cross member is by Competition Engineering, P/N C3601. It has a 3.5 in. drop and is fairly stout made from 1-5/8 in. DOM tubing with a wall thickness of 0.134 in. I also picked up a new transmission mount, Energy Suspension, P/N 3-1108G.

I had to trim the thickness of the transmission mount a little to get it to fit into the saddle of the transmission cross member. I believe the saddle of the cross member is supposed to be welded flipped from what I have it but to get the right drop, I had to weld it on the way I have it.

I used some 3/16 in. angle to make the make the frame mounting ends of the cross member. I used my hole saw set to drill holes in the angle then passed the cross member tubing through it and welded it up. I drilled a couple holes on each end and bolted it to the frame. Because the frame isn’t flat where the cross member mounts, I also cut some spacer plates to fill the void. I’m somewhat confident on where my motor is position at but if I have to, I can remove the cross member and slot the mounting holes.