View Single Post
Old 08-29-2015, 08:35 AM   #4
Old Crow

Re: "Basics of Basics" Parts store tricks to get the parts you need.

Thing that pisses me off is that often, by going to the web sites for whichever store(NAPA, O'Reilly's, etc)we have access to better info than they do at the store.
I used O'Reilly's site to look up all the brake parts for my F100 shop truck. They showed to all be in stock at my local store. I left the house, not intending to go to the store(so didn't take the list), but ended up there, so decided to get my stuff.
Of course, as in Brian's example, they had no listing in their computer for a '61 F-100. I told them I had just looked the parts up on their web site and they showed to all be in stock. I was told they didn't have access to their own web site in the store!
Ended up calling a friend of mine, who looked them up on the web site, read me the numbers over the phone, and Bang! All the stuff was in stock.
Went through a similar situation with a rear U joint for a '68 Mustang yesterday. Had all the dimensions, found the part # on the NAPA web site, ordered the part, and of course it was wrong. Looked it up on the store computer which verified that I had ordered the correct part, but the one they received, although the box had the right #, wasn't even close. Dude refused to order me another. I will not deal with that store again.
Ended up going to the guy who makes my drivelines...he had one on the shelf.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote