View Single Post
Old 09-13-2015, 03:50 PM   #1362
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Typical Sunday, woke at stupid-o-clock, surfed the web, made a cuppa tea and eventually woke Nicla to go to the two Bootfairs we do every weekend.
Not much to buy, gutted that I had not bought a large pair of axle stands last weekend, which typically did not show up today.

Back home by 11.00 and straight down to the garage to start scraping clean all the parts removed yesterday as they were all caked in old grease, grime etc.

Harley was around my feet as usual, and later Mickey from next door came around for a cuppa tea and a chat. Still I cleaned, and cleaned.

After all the scraping, using a small home made hacksaw blade knife, I then grabbed the flap wheeled grinder and proceeded to debur all the wishbone edges, as well as dressing back the spindles that I had previously hammered mercilessly to remove the ball joints.

Deburring is done so that once the paint goes on, you have less water or moisture traps to initiate rust under the painted surfaces.

After all the hours of scraping, I then used about 4 liters of petrol with toilet brush, paint brush and a welding brush to remove more of the grease, gunk.

Getting me to this point.

I then gave the parts, excluding the crossmember which got the pressure cleaner after the petrol wash a blast in the blasting cabinet to prepare them for paint.

Some bits I had done for Martin as well to go back into his reassembly.

Not sure if I should do the brake drums in red, Silver or black.

The back plates will be black.

Came indoors just on 6pm to have a shower and enjoy the full English roast chicken dinner Nicola had prepared for us.

Washed down with a lovely Baccardi and Pepsi Max, in my new 20p glass from today's Bootfair

That then was my very productive weekend.

LIFE IS GOOD.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote