View Single Post
Old 09-28-2015, 07:49 PM   #6
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Re: Whats the biggest problem with most fiberglass parts?

In my experience, a lot of the issues have to do with the production drift and variances, and the lack of maintenance of the molds. This ends up as a crap shoot for parts that don't fit well and/or require a lot of body work. For our trucks, it's doubly tough since there are only a couple of suppliers that provide truck parts in fiberglass. If you go into the process thinking that a fiberglass part should fit without any work, you might be in for some disappointment. The parts that I didn't have to spend as many hours (on average) fitting were from VFN Fiberglass and Glasstek. I actually went through two hoods for my '63 Chevy II - the first one from Unlimited was too bowed in the middle to fix, so I ended up with one from VFN.

I just went through this with fitting and tinning a funny car body to my chassis, and now I'm up to my ears fitting and tinning a '32 Bantam Outlaw Fuel Altered body (to switch back and forth between AA/FA and AA/FC)...and let me tell you, everything is off by more than an inch side to side - it's frustrating.

Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote