View Single Post
Old 10-07-2015, 11:21 PM   #12
Brad54

Re: '60-'62 front axle vs later years--interchange?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
I would go with a later open knuckle with disc if you're rebuilding and spending bucks. Don't worry about the perches, you'll work it out easy enough. Just get all the angles; you can mock up off the angles from the axle that's already in the truck. Getting your power brakes setup is where you want to spend your research. You have manual now right?
It's manual drums now, but so was the Suburban in my avatar; self-adjuster hardware upgrade, and a power brake kit from CCP made it a lot better.
It's not the perches I'm worried about (I've moved perches before). It's that the cast center section stays in the same place. (and of course, overall width for the front axle is the same too).

I think the difference in rebuilding what I've got, versus buying a later disc brake unit, will probably be a bunch... the OE one being cheaper, since I've got a spare already, and drums are always a lot cheaper to rebuild than discs. Not to mention buying the later one to begin with, which is at least $250 everywhere I look.

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote