View Single Post
Old 11-08-2015, 09:51 PM   #38
infinite-foamies

Re: 71' suburban 4x4

The first of the repair panels going in:

Drivers Rocker going in(sorry not sure how to rotate):

Passenger rocker and fitting floor pan:

Taught myself to TIG Stainless and made an exhaust from 3" 409 and some Mandrel bends plus a custom v-band flange to attach to the turbo and REAL exhaust hangers with rubber! :

Kevlar exhaust wrap where it's close to the T-case and floor:

If I previously said I have a 47RE, I was mistaken it is a 47RH. When I first got the engine running the TC had pressure against it that pushed it into the Front pump seal which welded itself to the TC and spun in the bore. Swapped a front pump from my parts tranny with new bushing and seal and had to grind a bit off the TC:

Doors being hung. The white one is staying as it is straight from vintagechevytruckparts in Fremont CA, great guys to deal with! I luckily had a road trip to CA from NY for work so shipping was $0. The green door is mockup as I am modding them to be able to pull the pins and pull the doors off for beach riding. The 3rd door hinges are such that the door does not need to be modified but the fronts have to be channeled:

Front clip on for mockup (I have rust free fenders) but had to take measurement for custom grill, Also need to play around with the heaterbox and do soem major wiring which will be easier with the fenders off:

My road find taillight guards:

The grill area will be covered by Custom Stainless perforated sheet that I am CNCing. It will also cover the headlights which will be spaced out by Stainless 3/16 tubing:

Much more to come, doing a custom refridgeration system with dual compressors that will double as A/C and for a small fridge I am installing. Does anyone know if a capillary tube and an evaporation valve are interchangable?

Next is Cruise control, I am running a vacuum servo off an 8th gen F350 diesel as I have one laying around. Making a custom circuit so I don't need a computer that will have very rudimentary control but will have a brake safety circuit.

I am adding power windows with motors that have a spline that go over where your handle once went. Making a custom adapter that will allow me to sink this motors spline right against the metal of the door and then I am making a custom Momentary rotary switch that will sit over the spline and allow me to use my stock crank handle as the switch handle! Also have a custom circuit for this which will allow me to control all windows from the driver seat. Wondering how I will handle pulling the doors off will all of these wires? Well you will have to wait and see, though I am putting speakers under the center of the dash to save on some wires.

Next up is the seat pedestals... I have seats from a conversion van that need to rotate, buying the swivles new they are $180/ea so if anyone knows of a cheaper source please let me know. Bought a swivel for a boat but it seems to be too flimsy for use in a vehicle...

Next up, I acquired a factory rook rack that I will be repairing thanks to some idiots mistakes... What does everyone do for sealing where the roof rack bolts up? I will also be adding cab marker lights more so as a way to help hide where the antenna and light wires go in.

I will also be mounting pioneer tools to the roof such as a pick, axe, shovel, and hi-lift jack.

Does anyone coat the roof with a coating like on a camper to help with the R-value? speaking of R-value what is a good thing to line the inside? Thinking using dyna-plate, the floor stuff they have as I don't really plan to use a carpet per say but maybe just floor mats, but I want something I can hose out after wheeling.

Sorry this is such a huge post, there is stuff I forgot and it has been a VERY long time since I have given an update.

Last edited by infinite-foamies; 11-08-2015 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Fixed formatting issues.
infinite-foamies is offline   Reply With Quote