View Single Post
Old 11-15-2015, 06:01 PM   #63
diceman50

Re: Supercharger for my Apache

While I was building the timing pointer it occurred to me that since the belt grooves are machined into the inertia ring on the damper I might have a problem. I was wondering if the extra load of the supercharger might make the inertia ring (i.e. the pulleys) slip on the hub. I talked the situation over with my son who has been building and tuning Indy Car and Daytona Prototype engines for 30 years and one of my best friends who is a master automotive machinist. The consensus was maybe, probably, and eventually. I decided it would be much easier to deal with it now instead of later so I designed and built a "harmonic damper snubber".

I bolted an aluminum disc to the inertia ring with 6 10-32 screws. Then oversize holes (9/16") were drilled in the disc for the 3/8" hub bolts. Then "O" rings were placed over the hub bolts to take up the space and provide a cushion if the inertia ring ever does slip. The theory is that if the load is to great for the elastomer ring between the hub and the pulleys the snubber will catch it before the elastomer ring is damaged. I hope it works!