View Single Post
Old 11-20-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
Ewr101

Re: Rectangular ceramic shunts/resistors

Yes, those are the pics I was referring to. And the resistors, the yellow one in the pic. Mine is blue but according to Tom's thread and research, the colors mean nothing so that answers that question.

With it wired like the first picture, the gauge rides at the very top of the "Normal" area, all the way to the last hash mark on the gauge before the "Hot" area. I ordered the exact resistors mentioned in Option 1 and first put one inline like Option 2 shows due to easier access and the gauge never moved. I figured the resistance was just too high to use it in line like that. I then installed it as Option 1 shows and I still have it like that. The gauge reads a little cooler but still on the higher side of the gauge.

My target is to have it roughly in the middle of the gauge. I'll check get those measurements either tonight or in the morning and report back. I'm fairly certain it's the right sender, it was ordered from a reputable online classic truck dealer that I'm sure we've all used and I did not use any type of Teflon tape or sealant of any kind. My cluster is an original gauge cluster with the only conversions being a tach and vacuum gauge that I added. In the process of adding those I put in a new printed circuit board, cluster pins and connector and an extra ground from the gauge tins to the dash framework. All of which works great thanks to you and Tom. I really appreciate the help.