View Single Post
Old 11-21-2015, 02:12 PM   #1613
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Right.... Part three of the Gas Monkey Garage day for Martin's birthday.

At this point I just want to share a pc Nicola sent me..... My ideal home.

The visit to Dallas and the GMG workshops reinforced the idea.
Watching "Grand Designs" on television has made me realise there are many ingenious building materials and techniques, and this plan has me thinking, a lot.

At some point we found ourselves drifting back into the workshop, chatting again to Johnny about making the programme and the way everyone always looked for ways to evolve the programme and business.

At this point Aaron came back into the workshop and came straight over to us where we were next to the Ford and control table for the recordings etc, guys moving about us with ear pieces in and getting on with their jobs, letting us just absorb it all.

Jonathan introduced us to Aaron and he was even nicer in person than he comes across on the show.
Interested in what we did at home, why we were there, he approved of our choice of trucks, engines and what we were doing to them. He asked many relevant and intelligent questions that again illustrated the way he is always gathering information and has an encyclopaedic knowledge of all things automotive and mechanical.

Martin managed and worked in a body shop for many years, developing his problem solving skills. He has been doing bespoke disability conversions for everyone from midgets to paraplegics and quadriplegics as well as wounded war veterans.
His day job is filled with constant challenges on how to build and adapt motor vehicles for people with all sorts of disabilities.
This was of major interest to Aaron and my head spinned as they discussed how the hand controls translated to applied energy when driven by disabled drivers.

Ever since watching Fast and Loud, I had been fascinated with the one tattoo Aaron wears as one only sees half of it at best.
You know the one I mean?
The four fork teeth sticking out from beneath his T-Shirt sleeve.

I asked him about it and he told us a story that he abbreviated to about 15 minutes, suffice it to say that he is a brilliant story teller and the story is most interesting and actually makes loads of sense.

I then asked him if he minded me taking a photo of it for this thread, to which he agreed.

So what do you see? Any ideas on the origins of the design?

Answers below please.

Aaron, Jonathan and myself, I nearly did not have the photo taken as I thought he must be so tired of the hero worship every day, but as he and Richard says, "This is what puts steak on our plates"

After a loooong chat, probably 40 minutes, he went back to work on his Harley Davidson and we carried on talking cars and trucks.

Martin started telling of a friend who has a Chevy truck with Mopar big block power and a Ford rear end.

....................... NEXT THING AARON'S TOOLS WERE DOWN AND HE WAS BACK WITH US.

HIS AUTOMOTIVE FASCINATION IS ENDLESS.

I seem to recall that there is a quote somewhere from him ( not his words verbatim) that goes something along the lines of: " I like to take something perfectly good and make it even better"

This is certainly a great motto to live by in this game.

While writing up this piece I was also looking at other interesting fact about Aaron and his history.

I found this piece on DFW.com about him, written by Cary Darling and I would suggest you click on the link and take a look as it really sumarises the man.

Aaron's story.

Author: Cary Darling. Thursday April 30th 2015

http://www.dfw.com/2015/04/29/991071...-kaufmann.html

Eventually near 5.00pm we suddenly realised that time had marched on at a serious pace and we still needed to get out of Dallas-Fort Worth area during peak traffic and make our way down to Best Western Hotel on the far side of Austin, Texas.

However, before that we needed to get to Gas Monkey Bar and Grill for a burger and to check the rest of the legend out.

So we said our goodbyes, feeling just stupidly spoiled for having had the type of opportunity very few people ever get, spending time with heroes who turned out to be incredibly nice people.

We drove to the restaurant and had a look around, sat down, beers, burger for Martin and I had a pulled Pork sandwich and fries.

Stock photo, the bar is usually packed.

Martin's head just popping into view.....

Then we hit the road for Austin.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote