View Single Post
Old 11-22-2015, 09:30 PM   #58
iowaboynca

Re: "1950 GMC" -Charlotte

Somewhat small update today. Also I apologize for any spelling errors. Doesn't look like spell check is working and I can't spell without it.

Things have gone a little slow with life and 3 little girls in soccer and football and all but I have been tinkering here and there, not what I'd call update worthy. On top of all that my hard drive decided to crap out about 3 weeks ago so...

So when I last posted, I made a comment that I'd need to trick the transmission and motor into liking each other. (GM never put a manual behind a 5.3L, just the 4.8L. But we all know its the same block...yada yada yada). So when i'm plannning out this phase, i tell myself, "hey, I can mount the transmisison w/the cab on. Oh wait i need to see where the new under floor brake/clutch bracket is going to line up so i need to take the old off." Ok so i dive under the truck, and take a peek. "Hmm. would be easier if i took the body off."

Then I tell myself, "Wait, I should take a look at patching the body. Well hmm, corners look like they need more work, so that should probably wait."

So I finally decided that the cab had to come off and i jimmied up the good ol' engine hoist cab puller and planned to put it on a pallet with some left over casters. As I have the cab over the pallet i realize, "Wait, how am i going to get the legs of the hoist under the pallet. Ugh...well i'll just put it on jack stands." Once i the jack stands i realize i need a little bit more mobility so I buits a dolly out of leftover wood and the casters mentioned above. (Pic 1))

Then back to the motor/transmission. Got the new flywheel, got the new clutch kit, got the new pilot bearing, got the new throw-out bearing. Now wait, "are you kidding me, they couldn't send the mounting bolts?" So back to the refurbished computer, to begin the search on what size bolts are needed. (Actually, I can't cray that much, it wasn't that hard.) So now the flex plate, pilot bearing and clutch kit are all together. (Pic 2). Next on the list is to finish mating the transmission to the motor and figure out how i want to mount the transmissions. (I've got a couple of ideas)

Stay tuned...
Attached Images