View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #34
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: just bought a 08 crewcab 2wd and i'm dropping it. any sugestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassknuckles View Post
I recently lowered my 2011 GMC RCSWB 6/5 using Belltech flip, spindles, coils, shocks, and camber adjusters....... I drive 800 miles to work. 2 weeks in, two out, on Northern Ontario roads, and it's a challenge with the stock 20's. The truck rides fine, but the front tires rub ALOT, even after cutting up the plastic inner fenders and massaging the steel wheel wells. I cannot say anything bad about the Belltech kit, lots of height options, but if you go as low as I did (max), you need the camber kit, and need to do as I did, make changes in the wheelhouse, and/or change the front tire size..... I'm going to go another inch lower in the back, but I'm going to pipe notch the frame first, and add helper bags so I can still tow 5000#, and make it over speed bumps.
My truck is a 2011 GMC and I have it dropped using a McGaughy's 5/7 drop. I did have some issue with rubbing in the front and under heavy use it will still rub on the plastic liner. I have driven this truck over a 140,000 miles after the drop. I did downsize the tires to 265/50/20s and that gave me more room under the front fenders. I upgraded my struts and shocks to Belltech units for better dampening and used Belltech degree camber adjusters. In the winter months, I run stock factory steel rims, that have tires on them that are the same height as the 265/50/20s. I did change the liners, by cutting the top open and massaged them to fit up against the steel liners behind them, I also have a set of air load helper bags for the rear springs, so if I want to haul some weight, I have a way to balance the load. The majority of my driving is on Kansa highways and back roads. They are not oil field roads by any means, but are not the smoothest in the world.
Attached Images