View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 02:10 PM   #220
torchlight

Re: Marvin (1953 3100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaboynca View Post
Progress?!?
and don't say done cuz it ain't done until a shakedown video has been posted...
Haha, oh not done yet, although I sure wish it was! Updates have been slow due to a few factors - I can't visit Marvin in person nearly as often now but mostly progress had been fairly slow. Things are really picking up lately, though, as the body shop is now able to focus on Marvin full time over the last couple of weeks. Was going to wait a couple more weeks to make an update, but let me put up a few pictures to show where things stand right now.

Starting to lose track of how many times Marvin has been assembled then disassembled then assembled then disassembled. Here the cab and all the front end sheet metal was up for body prep.

While the sheet metal for the box and fenders was and will be fairly straight forward to prepare, I guess the cab is a fairly complex project to get ready for paint. Work begins...

Progress! Lots of sanding. LOTS of sanding.

Lots of work to do inside the cab, as well. When it comes to interior, I'm planning to keep it pretty simple - not going to do "full coverage" with upholstery on the doors or cab walls. So, lots of surfaces inside the cab getting painted, which means lots of prep! And sanding.

Doors getting the treatment as well.

Finally ready for final primer - yippee!!!

Had the front sheetmetal on again for a final fit check before paint. Everything lining up real nice.

Door gaps dialed in.

Technically these pictures are a bit out of order. The underside of the cab and the firewall did get fully prepped and painted before the cab went back on the frame. Here's underneath. Didn't go overboard prepping the underside.

Top of the cowl (at an odd angle). Now the cab is back on the frame for the very last and final time. It won't be coming off again - that is exciting to me!

And here's the firewall getting the finish treatment after paint and clear. Love love love how the color is turning out, and I'm so happy that after all this time, Marvin is finally getting to be red again. Cannot wait to see the whole cab in color!

As far as schedule goes, this week will see Marvin's cab and front inner/outer fenders getting paint and finish. The fenders will go back on for the last time, and Marvin will get to go on a field trip to the mechanical shop for final assembly of all the bits under the sheetmetal. Scheduled to be there for a month, at which time he should be able to fire up and technically driveable. Wow! Can't wait to hear his new voice from the LS motor and Porter exhaust. I'll be visiting in two weeks and will report back with some new pictures hopefully showing the completed paint job on the cab/doors/fenders!